Friday, May 29, 2009

Holding on to the moment

I've learned school kicks my butt over and over and over again. I LOVE to learn, I love going to school, but I could very much so deal without the painful reminder of the roller coaster ride. However, now .... all I have to do when new terms kicks my butt (and this one has the last couple week) is remember, "I GOT A 99.5%, I GOT A 99.5%, I GOT A 99.5% HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY!!!" (thank you Little Rascals).

I have NEVER gotten such a high A+ before. So many people can pull off high grades, jobs and family all at the same time. Some are married, some single parents, some emmersed in other curricular activities. Whatever the case, I learned from grade 9 after giving up on school in grade 6 that I am just not a stellar or star student. While I try HARD and work HARD at it, I still barely pass with both grade and comprehension. It's a skill I could've acquired given nurturing and practice, but did not. Now, older and less wiser, I am the dog that is learning new tricks.

One trick of which - Darin taught me - outline my notes. He doesn't just mean take notes, but instead outline the notes. It has helped so much. Also, I just recently learned this, write down your thoughts WHEN they come to you and where in the text you thought them. These thoughts should be as complete as possible so when you go back to grab the idea in a relevant situation, the thought makes sense.

"I GOT A 99.5%, I GOT A 99.5%, I GOT A 99.5% HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY!!!" YIPPEEE.

No comments: