Monday, February 9, 2009

Winter Blues

Don't get me wrong, my favorite music is jazz and the blues, but combined with a long winter, man, things get bummer-ific!!! I learned from my mom that an existence of inactivity and non-movement is sufficient for this life. However, another part of me screams, "DON'T DO IT!!" I hate inactivity and non-movement. I haven't learned how to combine my need to move and be active with at-home life. I homeschool; I am getting my master's degree; I keep house; I play with my kids; I exercise ... one would think that would be enough to keep me busy. It is, but I still have hours per day that I don't know what to do with myself. From my mom's example, I watch movies. With the ease of Netflix and the convenience, I watch a lot (!!!) of TV. I haven't watched TV since I was, arguably, younger than 15, so I have a lot to catch up on. I used to like that I didn't know what was going on. My husband is always telling me to do things I enjoy, but I don't know what that is. The things I do enjoy and know I enjoy them, are time consuming and space taking. It takes a moment to get involved and I normally have to stick with it to accomplish anything, but that isn't easy when I'm always running back and forth between kids and my baby sleeps in the office (her bedroom isn't finished in the basement, yet). The office is where the space is. So, I enjoy scrapbooking and sewing. Reading is great, too, but that, also, I have to have uninterrupted time to do, otherwise, I have a ton of books I've started and never have finished. I've determined, blogging is it, for now. I can watch a movie (or two - hehehe) a day as long as I've homeschooled, exercised, finished my homework and played with my kids. I don't like being one of those at-home mom's that is just a warm body for the kids. I like to engage. During the winter, though, what to do?

This brings me back to the winter blues. During good weather, we would go on walks, go places, do things, enjoy the weather ... what do you do in the winter when the roads are bad, the air is cold, the shops are further than I care to go now that I am so much further away than I used to be ... This last week or more the weather has been great. We have been outside more, walking more, going places more. It's been enjoyable. Now ... it is ... snowing again. :( That stupid groundhog. We need to replace him.

1 comment:

Swenson Family said...

We miss you in the court! Have you met any neighbors for play dates? I sure hope winter is letting up. I am SOOOO ready for Spring!